If you’re an Australian citizen planning to travel to Tanzania for tourism, conference attendance or business, you should be aware that you need a visa in order to enter Tanzania. This has become much easier since the introduction of the eVisa process in 2018. Tanzanian immigration has streamlined the previous complicated system and introduced a simple online application form which allows you to apply for the Tanzania visa from Australia.
The first step is to choose the right type of visa for Tanzania, since the duration of a visa varies depending on the reason for traveling. The different available visas are:
- A single-entry tourist visa — this is for any traveler holidaying in Tanzania or traveling for short-term health treatment, and allows a single visit of up to three months.
- A multiple-entry Tanzania tourist visa — this is for any traveler who needs to make multiple trips to the country, usually for professional or family reasons. It is valid for one year from the date of issue but only allows stays of up to 3 months at a time.
- A Tanzania transit visa — this is for travelers who are stopping briefly in the country, usually on their way to another destination, and allows stays of up to 7 days.
- A Tanzania business visa — this is intended for business travelers conducting meetings and investing in the country, as well as professionals on temporary secondment to international projects or visiting academics.
How to Apply for a Tanzania Visa as an Australian
Once Australian citizens are sure they meet the Tanzania visa requirements and have chosen the correct visa type, they need to take a few minutes to fill in the short Tanzania eVisa application online. Double check that all information is correct and up to date; incomplete applications may be rejected by the authorities.
To fill in the form, it’s necessary to provide some personal and passport information such as full name, date of birth, place of birth, travel document number, and details of the travelers itinerary while in Tanzania.
After the applicant has filled in all the required details, they then need to:
- Upload digital copies of all supporting documents
- Enter a current email address
The applicant will then receive:
- A confirmation email stating that the application has been received
- A User Identification Number that will allow them to track the process of their visa online
- After up to two weeks the final decision to grant the visa will also be communicated via email
It is recommended that you get in touch with Tanzanian immigration services if you do not receive your confirmation in a timely manner.
Australian nationals landing in Tanzanian airports or crossing overland can expect to have their visa checked at the border. Bear in mind that an approved visa is not an absolute guarantee of entry as the final decision is made by border officials on entry, so make sure you have all the supporting documentation for your visa when going through passport control.
Documents I Need to Apply for the Tanzania Visa
Australian citizens who intend to apply online before traveling need to submit digital versions of their personal documents when using the online application form. You will be asked to provide copies of:
- An Australian passport valid for at least 6 months upon arrival in Tanzania
- A copy of the passport information page with the applicant’s personal details
- A passport-style photo which clearly shows the applicant’s face
- A yellow fever vaccination certificate (this is for any traveler who has spent time in a country where yellow fever is endemic, and is not usually necessary for Australian citizens coming directly from Australia)
Applicants also need to provide proof of their return flights to Australia or another destination when entering Tanzania. Failure to provide this can result in your application being denied or being turned away at the border.
The Tanzania visa for Australian citizens comes with a fee which is variable depending on the type of visa and duration of the applicant’s visit, and can be paid using a credit card when the traveler submits their application.
Australian citizens are still able to obtain the Tanzanian tourist visa on arrival at the border; however, this is not as efficient or convenient as applying online and there are usually long queues to apply in person. It is hoped that the faster electronic system will encourage more Australians to visit Tanzania now that they can do so with ease.
FAQs For Australian Citizens
In order to travel to Tanzania Australian citizens must hold a valid visa.
The best way to get prepared to travel to Tanzania is with an eVisa. Australians can apply for this document easily online by entering a few items of personal information, answering a number of security questions, providing valid ID and paying a fee.
The application process only takes a few minutes to complete and can provide authorization to enter Tanzania up to 6 days prior to traveling to Africa.
Australian tourists do not require an additional visa or extra travel documents to travel to Zanzibar either from the mainland or from another international location. All that is necessary is a national visa for Tanzania, which covers visits to both the mainland and the island of Zanzibar.
In most cases, vaccinations are not obligatory for entry into Tanzania. However, Australians traveling from an area affected by Yellow Fever will require a vaccination certificate before being granted entry.
There are also a number of tropical diseases present in Tanzania. Therefore, there are a few inoculations that are normally recommended prior to travel to the country.
For further information, please consult our comprehensive guide on the essential travel vaccinations needed for Tanzania.