If you have always dreamed of going on a safari, climbing up Mt. Kilimanjaro, or relaxing on the idyllic turquoise-blue beaches of Zanzibar, then you need to book a ticket to Tanzania. This bustling country on the southeastern coast of Africa has everything that a traveler is looking for: from delicious food to exciting adventures, interesting locals, and nature, you can find it here.
However, before you can start planning your trip to Tanzania, it is important to note that all Austrian citizens need a visa before they can legally enter Tanzania.
Thanks to a new initiative set forth by the Tanzanian government, it is now possible to apply for your Tanzania visa online from Austria. This means that you will not have to visit an embassy, compile dozens of papers, or have an in-person interview with an immigration official. All you have to do is set aside an hour of your time to fill out the application form. That’s it!
In this article, we’ll show you what requirements you need for a Tanzanian visa, how to start an application, and what to expect.
The first step towards obtaining a Tanzania visa is to figure out which visa you need. These are the different classes of visas available to Austrian travelers:
- A Single-entry Tanzania tourist visa allows the traveler to stay for a consecutive maximum of 3 months in Tanzania for either a holiday, medical tourism, and more.
- A Multiple-entry Tanzania visa is a visa specifically or those who frequently visit the country. In order to be considered for a Tanzania multiple-entry visa, the applicant must provide proper documentation and be invited by a Tanzanian citizen. The visa allows visitors to stay in Tanzania for a maximum amount of 3 months consecutively and is valid for 12 months.
- A Tanzania transit visa allows travelers to transit through the country to their onward destination and is valid for stays no longer than 7 days.
- A Tanzania business visa is available to those who are business professionals planning to visit or invest in Tanzanian companies. The validity of the visa varies from 1 to 6 months depending on the traveler’s needs, and has its own special set of circumstances.
Requirements to Apply for a Tanzania Visa for Austrian Citizens
Before you can apply for your visa, it is important to carefully check the Tanzania visa requirements for Austrian citizens. The requirements to apply for a Tanzanian visa include the following items:
- A valid Austrian passport – Your Austria-issued passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date that you plan to arrive in Tanzania. However, we recommend having a longer validity in case anything comes up.
- Applicant’s passport page– During the application, you will need to upload a copy of the applicant’s passport page. It must be a legible copy that clearly shows the traveler’s biometric page and information.
- A digital passport-style photo – You will need to submit a recent photo of yourself (preferably within the last 6 months) with your face centered and clearly visible.
- Travel Plans – It is also a requirement that you submit your travel plans to make sure that they comply with the three-month limit of the tourist visa. This includes proof of flights or other travel back to your home country or onward to another destination.
- A valid email address – You will need to enter a valid email address to ensure that you will get notifications about the status of your visa after submitting the application.
- A valid payment method – You will need to have a valid debit or credit card in order to pay the necessary visa fees for your Tanzania visa.
Tanzania eVisa Application Form Online for Austrian Citizens
Thanks to the new government initiative, it is now easier than ever to apply for a Tanzania evisa as an Austrian citizen.
To get started, you must fill out the visa application form. There, the form will ask you a few basic questions such as your personal information (full name, date of birth, nationality), your contact information (email and current address), and passport information (passport number, expiration date). After you have filled out the form, it is recommended to double-check each entry thoroughly and ensure everything is correct.
The next step is to pay the application fee and wait for a notification. The processing time for a Tanzanian evisa is usually five business days, although it may take longer due to holidays and demand. Once your evisa is approved, we recommend printing out a copy in case the immigration official asks at the border.