Belgian citizens who wish to enter Tanzania for tourism or business purposes will need a visa prior to entering the country. Although travelers are able to apply for a visa in an embassy, or at the border once they arrive in the country itself, long waiting times are common, especially during busy hours, and there is a need to pay a fee, in which the cost varies per person. However, Tanzania has improved their visa processing service and now offer a Tanzania eVisa system.
A simplified visa application scheme was launched on November 26, 2018 for different nationalities, including Belgian citizens, giving an alternative and hassle-free option to those who want to visit. Travelers can now apply for the eVisa online prior to arriving in Tanzania, eliminating the need to go to an embassy or queue up for the visa on arrival at the border. It aims to boost tourism in the country and provide better security checks at border control.
Entry Requirements For Belgian Citizens
Prior to visiting Tanzania, Belgian citizens must ensure that they have the correct type of visa depending on their needs.
Below is the list of visas available to foreign visitors:
- A single-entry tourist visa for Tanzania, allowing a visitor 90 days of consecutive stay in the country for either tourism, family visits, short term health treatment or other activities sanctioned by the government of Tanzania.
- A multiple-entry Tanzania tourist visa for Belgian citizens, which is issued to those who frequently visit Tanzania. This visa is valid for a period of 12 months and allows the traveler to stay in Tanzania for up to 3 months at a time.
- A Tanzania transit visa; available for travelers who plan to stay no longer than 7 days while transiting to an onward destination.
- A Tanzania business visa; available for visitors who plan to invest in Tanzania, or professionals who plan to work temporarily in the country for a short period of time. The validity of the visa can vary from 1 to 6 months, depending on the traveler’s needs.
What Documents Do I Need to Apply for the Tourist Visa?
Travelers must ensure that they have the necessary documents in order to apply for a visa online. You the Tanzania visa requirements for Belgian citizens in order to apply successfully:
- A Belgian passport valid for a period of at least 6 months upon arrival in Tanzania
- A digital copy of the passport information page
- A digital copy of a passport photo
- Yellow fever vaccine certificate (travelers who have recently visited countries in Sub-Saharan Africa or South America)
Tanzania Visa Application Form for Belgian Citizens
After verifying that they fulfill the requirements to acquire a Tanzania visa and selecting the necessary visa type, travelers will need to answer a short Tanzania eVisa application form for Belgian citizens and provide the following information:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Travel document number
As part of the requirements to secure a Tanzanian visa, all travelers are required to submit a detailed travel plan during their stay in Tanzania to the immigration officer, including the necessary documentation of a return ticket to Belgium or an onward ticket to another destination.
Belgian citizens are also required to provide an up-to-date email address as part of the eVisa application. A confirmation will be sent on the provided email once the application is processed, and the status regarding the approval or denial of the visa will be sent on the same address once the Tanzanian immigration officer has made a final decision.
It is necessary to double check all the information entered in the system prior to submitting the application online, to ensure that there will be no delays in receiving the visa. The visa fee for Belgian citizens varies depending on the type of visa applied. A credit card can be used to pay the application online.
Please take note that securing a Tanzanian visa for Belgian citizens online does not guarantee a traveler the right to enter Tanzania. The attending immigration officer will make the final decision at the border, hence travelers are encouraged to bring all the necessary supporting documents prior to entering the country to avoid any inconvenience or denial when entering the country.