Anyone traveling to Tanzania on a Canadian passport needs to apply for a Tanzania visa for Canadian citizens in order to enter the country for tourism, work or study. Single-entry tourist visas are valid for 90 days and can be obtained at the border on arrival when presenting the applicant’s passport and supporting documents. However, immigration control is known to experience frequent delays, and at busy times there are long queues.
A new system has recently been introduced for several nationalities, including Canadians, which is much more efficient than applying in person. Visas for Tanzania can be requested up to three months in advance of travel using the electronic visa application system, which allows visitors to apply online before they leave home. The simple electronic application form is easy to use and allows applicants a much faster passage through immigration and border control.
Requirements for Canadian Citizens
Applying for the correct visa is essential for Canadian visitors to Tanzania, and depends on their reason for traveling to the country and the duration of their stay:
- A single-entry tourist visa for Tanzania, which allows the traveler a single stay of up to 3 months in the country for the purpose of tourism and leisure, short term health treatment, or any other activity legal under Tanzanian law.
- A Tanzania study visa which is valid for 12 months and allows the holder to study full-time at a Tanzanian school or university. The applicant will need registration documents or a letter of support from their academic body.
- A Tanzania transit visa, available for travelers who want to stay in Tanzania on their way to another country and will stay no longer than 7 days.
- A Tanzania business visa, which is issued to Canadian citizens who are visiting to fulfill professional obligations, conduct research or hold business meetings in the country, and permits a stay of up to six months depending on the needs of the traveler.
What Documents I Need to Apply for the Tourist Visa
In order for Canadian citizens to apply online from Canada before traveling, it is necessary to meet the minimum Tanzania visa requirements. The following documents are necessary as part of the Tanzania tourist visa application:
- A Canadian passport valid for at least 6 months upon arrival in Tanzania
- A digital copy of the passport information page
- A digital copy of a passport photo
- Proof of payment of the appropriate visa fee
- Vaccination needed for Tanzania (if the traveler is visiting from a country in Sub-Saharan African or South America where yellow fever is endemic).
The Tanzania visa fee can be paid online using a credit card at the same time the application is submitted. Rates vary for Canadian passport holders depending on the type of visa and duration of the applicant’s visit.
Application Form for Canadian Citizens
Once travelers are satisfied they have chosen the right visa and fulfill all the requirements for Canadian citizens to travel to Tanzania, it should only take a few minutes to fill out the short Tanzania eVisa application form.
The form requires some important personal and passport information, including the applicant’s full name, date, and place of birth, and passport number, as well as details of the applicant’s travel plans while in Tanzania. Be sure to carefully read through the terms and conditions stipulated in the disclaimer before you submit.
As part of the eVisa application process, all Canadian citizens are also asked to provide a current email address where confirmation will be sent that the application has been received. On rare occasions, an applicant may be asked to visit the Embassy or consulate to provide further details, but in most cases, the application will be reviewed by the Ministry of Home Affairs and details of the visa will be sent to the applicant via email.
Please note that possession of a visa does not automatically guarantee the holder the right to enter Tanzania, and the immigration officer will make the final decision at the border. We advise that you take copies of any documents you have submitted in your application, and your travel plans to have available as you go through border control.
FAQs For Canadian Citizens
At present, the Tanzania eVisa for Canadians only permits a single entry into the country. This allows tourists from Canada to enter the country on one occasion for short vacations of up to 30 days.
At present Canadians may not apply for a multiple-entry tourist visa. For each additional visit to the country, citizens will be required to obtain a new eVisa.
Single entry tourist eVisas for Tanzania permit visitors to stay for up to 30 days in the country. Once approved the visa is valid for 3 months and the 30-day stay is activated on the date of arrival into Tanzania.
Alternatively, for Canadians wishing to spend longer in the country, there is an option to extend the visa length by up to 3 months at a time. This may be done up to a total of 6 months cumulatively.
One of the benefits of the Tanzania eVisa is that Canadian citizens are not required to visit a Tanzanian embassy or consulate to gain travel authorization to the country. Nevertheless, for additional inquiries and to attain longer-term work or residency visas, applicants should make contact with the national embassy of Tanzania in Canada.
The Tanzanian Embassy in Ottawa, Canada:
Address: 142 Boulevard du 30 Juin, BP 1612, Ottawa, ON K1N 8J4, Canada
Phone: (+1) 613 232 1500
Fax: (+1) 613 232 5184