Visas for Tanzania are not required for Hong Kong residents, who may enter the country for up to 90 days visa-free for tourism, although a visa is still required for work, study or business purposes. All other Chinese nationals need to apply for a visa for Tanzania in order to enter the country. It is now possible to apply online in advance for a Tanzania visa for Chinese citizens using the immigration department’s new online visa application system.
Chinese citizens can also apply for a Tanzania single-entry tourist visa at the border after they arrive. Be aware that there are often long queues at immigration if you apply for a visa in person in Tanzania, and it is generally not as easy or efficient as applying online. New agreements between the Tanzania Tourist Board and holdings companies in China are expected to bring an influx of Chinese tourists to Tanzania, and the new electronic visa system will be essential to keeping immigration running smoothly.
Requirements for Chinese Citizens
Chinese citizens traveling to Tanzania need to meet the Tanzania visa requirements for Chinese passport holders as set out by the authorities. These requirements differ depending on which visa required. Most visitors to the country apply for the Tanzania tourist visa, but those traveling for work or study will have different needs. The available visa types are:
- A single-entry tourist visa for Tanzania, which is intended for those visiting for the purposes of tourism, travel, leisure, or short-term health treatment, and allows the traveler a 3-month consecutive stay in the country.
- A multiple-entry Tanzania tourist visa, which is intended for those traveling for tourism and leisure or for those visiting friends and family in Tanzania or as part of a cultural exchange. The visa is valid for up to 12 months and allows travelers a maximum stay of 3 months at a time in Tanzania. Applicants for this visa must be invited by a citizen of Tanzania and are required to submit their invitation letter.
- A Tanzania transit visa, intended for travelers who are passing through the country on their way to their final destination, and plan to stay no longer than 7 days.
- A Tanzania business visa, available for professionals planning to visit to invest in Tanzanian enterprise. The validity of the visa can vary from 1 to 6 months, depending on the traveler’s needs
What Documents I Need to Apply for the Tourist Visa
Chinese citizens who intend to apply online in their home country before traveling need to submit the appropriate documents as part of their application. These include:
- A Chinese passport valid for at least 6 months upon arrival in Tanzania
- A scanned copy of the passport information page
- A digital passport-style photo
- Proof of payment of the appropriate visa fee
- A yellow fever vaccination certificate (if the traveler has recently visited any area of Sub-Saharan African and South America where yellow fever is present)
Applicants also need to provide proof of their return flights to China or another destination when entering Tanzania, as officials will check that onward travel plans match the time limit imposed by the visa.
Application Form for Chinese Citizens
After checking that they meet the Tanzania visa requirements for Chinese citizens and deciding on the relevant visa type, Chinese travelers should complete the short Tanzania eVisa application online, which only takes a few minutes to fill in.
When filling in the form, each applicant needs to provide some personal and passport information:
- full name
- date of birth
- place of birth
- travel document number
- details of the applicant’s travel plans while in Tanzania
Applicants are required to pay the Tanzanian visa fee for Chinese citizens before submitting the form, which can be paid online via credit card. The application will be reviewed by Tanzanian immigration and final approval or denial of the visa will be confirmed via email, so it is important to provide an up to date email address with the application.
Note that having the Tanzania visa for Chinese citizens granted is not an absolute guarantee that the holder will be admitted to Tanzania. The final decision is made by immigration officials at passport control, so it is important for visa holders to bring all necessary supporting documentation with them in as a precaution.
FAQ’s for Chinese Citizens
The list of vaccinations required for Tanzania does not only depend on your nationality but also your specific circumstances (including, for example, places that you have recently visited and your medical history). Therefore, Chinese nationals should check with their doctor before they travel.
Remember to allow enough time for the vaccinations to be administered correctly (usually, at least 6 to 8 weeks in advance).
The vast majority of Chinese citizens need a visa in order to enter Zanzibar (some special passport holders, like diplomatic staff, may be exempt).
Fortunately, this doesn’t mean that Chinese travelers must go queue at the Tanzanian embassy and fill out lengthy paperwork. In fact, Chinese nationals are eligible for the Tanzanian online visa.
The eVisa is the quickest and fastest travel permit to obtain for Zanzibar and can be used by Chinese tourists to explore the island as well as Tanzania for up to 30 days. Simply fill out the form online, upload a copy of the relevant documents and pay the application fee. The granted eVisa will arrive via email.