Tanzania is a country in East Africa, mostly known for the highest mountain in Africa, Mount Kilimanjaro, situated in the north-east of the country, and for the archipelago of Zanzibar, renowned tourist destination. For some of these reasons, more than 1.5 million international arrivals visited the country in 2018 only.
Only citizens of a few countries are allowed to enter Tanzania visa-free. For most of the remaining ones, the Tanzanian government has recently introduced the eVisa. This latest system is entirely online and its purpose is to streamline the immigration process, greatly reducing the waiting time for obtaining a visa. The eVisa also eliminates the necessity to go in person at an embassy or consulate to apply for a visa.
The eVisa for Tanzania is also available for citizens of Congo, who can apply online and obtain their eVisa via email. The electronic travel authorization allows travelers to enter Tanzania for tourism or leisure purposes or short-term medical treatment, for up to three months.
Citizens of Congo that are planning on visiting Tanzania for different purposes can apply for one of the following visas:
- Multiple-entry visa if they intend to enter Tanzania multiple times within 12 months
- Business visa if they plan on conducting business
- Transit visa if they only need to transit in Tanzania for up to 7 days
- Gratis visa if they are holders of a diplomatic, services or official passport
- Student visa if they travel for academic purposes
Congolese citizens, like all other citizens eligible for the eVisa, can also request a visa on arrival when entering Tanzania. This option is, however, not recommended since the waiting time at the entry port can be much longer than for the eVisa, which allows using a fast track.
Additionally, travelers must ensure to bring all the required documentation and, if anything is missing, they might be denied entry. This is less likely to happen with an eVisa since all documentation must be provided prior to departure and applicants will receive a confirmation regarding the status of their eVisa.
What Documents do Citizens of Congo Require for eVisa
At the moment of the online application, travelers will need to fill out an e-Visa application form and submit all the necessary documentation.
The following are the documents required for citizens of Congo:
- A copy of the passport valid for at least 6 months from the application date
- A digital copy of a passport photo
- Proof of payment of the eVisa
Additionally, travelers will need to provide proof of yellow fever vaccination. Being among the countries at risk for yellow fever, citizens of Congo will need to provide such documentation.
Before traveling, it is useful to speak to a doctor in regards to all the necessary vaccinations as these may vary depending on the country of residence, as well as the countries previously visited.
How to Apply for Tanzania Visa from Congo
The application process for Tanzania eVisa from Congo is very simple. All travelers will need is a stable internet connection and all the required documents prepared in advance.
In filling out the application form, travelers will need to provide the following:
- Personal details: full name, date of birth, country of citizenship
- Passport details: country of issue, number, date of issue and expiry
- Details of the trip: intended date of entry and purpose of the trip
- A valid email address for future communications
Once the application and the payment are completed, applicants will see a confirmation message informing them that their request is being processed.
It usually takes around 4 to 6 days for eVisa applications to be processed. Applicants will receive updates regarding the status of their visas, such as approval or denial, at the email address they provided in the application form.
It is extremely important to make sure that all the information provided is correct and that the documents are up to date, to avoid inconveniences such as delays or denial of the eVisa.
Once they receive the confirmation of the online travel permit, travelers are advised to print out a copy in case they will need to provide it at the border controls. It is also useful to always have a copy during the whole permanence in Tanzania.
Tanzania Entry Points for Congolese Visitors
Citizens of Congo that have an approved eVisa for Tanzania can enter the country through one of the following 5 entry ports:
- Julius Nyerere International Airport (JNIA), located in Dar es Salaam
- Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA), serving the cities of Arusha and Moshi
- Abeid Amani Karume International Airport (AAKIA), on Unguja Island
- Namanga border, in Namanga town, at the border with Kenya
- Tunduma border, in Tunduma town, at the border with Zambia
Note: an approved eVisa does not guarantee entry into the country. However, it is quite rare to be denied entry with an eVisa and this depends on very specific circumstances.
Additional information and updates regarding the eVisa for Tanzania can also be found in the news section.