A non-surprising figure of around 1.5 million international tourists visited Tanzania in 2018, and the number is expected to keep increasing.
Because of this growth in tourism, in 2018 the government of Tanzania introduced the Tanzanian online electronic visa to help aid the influx of visa applications.
This new way to apply for a visa to Tanzania is much more accessible for Hungarian citizens, who are part of the eligible group of countries.
The Tanzania eVisa means there is no need to book an appointment with a local Tanzanian embassy or consulate since Hungarians, along with nationals of several other countries, can receive their online visa in 4-6 business days.
Tanzania eVisa Requirements for Hungary
Hungarian nationals wishing to visit Tanzania for tourism purposes are required to meet some mandatory visa entry requirements set by the Tanzanian government.
A Hungarian citizen must have the following documentation in order to apply for an online eVisa to Tanzania:
- A valid passport issued by the Hungarian government. It is compulsory to ensure that the valid passport has an expiration date of at least 6 months before applying for the visa online
- A digital photo of the Hungarian applicant. The photo must clearly show the face of the traveler and be submitted with the highest resolution possible
- A copy or scanned image of the biographical page of the passport. Hungarians must make sure the image is clear and legible
- A valid credit or debit card at the end of completing the application form to pay the processing fee. Applicants from Hungary must ensure the credit/debit card is valid and working
- Yellow fever certificate. Hungarian visitors who have spent time in a yellow-fever infected country/area are required to provide an official yellow fever certificate upon receiving the vaccination
Moreover, citizens from Hungary should take into consideration the vaccinations needed to travel to Tanzania, as well as visit a doctor before their trip.
Can Hungarians visit Zanzibar with an eVisa?
Zanzibar is a desired tourist destination located off mainland Tanzania, moreover, the island shares the same visa policy as Tanzania.
Hungarian visitors also wishing to visit Zanzibar are eligible to do so under the Tanzanian Tourist eVisa guidelines.
The requirements remain the same as with the Tanzanian eVisa.
Overview of requirements:
- A valid passport issued by the Hungarian government
- A scanned copy of the biographical page of the passport
- Applicant’s headshot (A digital photo of the Hungarian traveler’s face or a copy of the passport photo)
- A valid credit/debit card
Apply for the Tanzanian Visa From Hungary
Hungarian nationals are eligible to apply for the electronic Tanzania visa providing they meet the requirements stated above.
The most popular eVisa obtained by worldwide vacationers is the tourist visa for Tanzania. However, Hungarians should consider the reasons behind their trip to Tanzania as there are different eVisas types available, and traveling with an incorrect visa type can cause issues when entering the country.
When filling out the application form, Hungarians must submit personal information, as well as details contained in their passports, a valid email account, and a payment method in the form of a credit or debit card.
Types of Tanzania Visas Available for Hungarian Travelers
There are 5 main visa types for Tanzania launched in 2018 by the local government. Hungarian nationals are urged to carefully think about the reason for their visit to Tanzania and apply for the correct visa type.
Single-entry visa to Tanzania from Hungary
This visa type is for eligible Hungarians wishing to visit Tanzania based on entering only once for the purpose of tourism and leisure.
The single-entry permit allows Hungarian eVisa holders to stay in the country for a maximum continuous stay of 30 days.
The visa is valid for a total of 3 months from the date of issue. If travelers from Hungary would like to exit and re-enter the country a multiple entry visa would be better suited.
Multiple-entry visa to Tanzania from Hungary
The multiple entry visa option is for Hungarian travelers who wish to frequently visit the east African country within a validity time-period of 12 months. However, travelers must note that they cannot remain for a complete stay of 12 months, but in fact a continuous stay of 3 months per visit.
Tanzania business visa for Hungary
This e-visa serves the purpose of authorizing Hungarian visitors the ability to take part in professional roles, special labor duties, and lawful business activities.
Tanzanian referral visa
The Referral Visa only applies to certain countries where the travelers will need to seek special clearance from an immigration officer before the visa approval. This visa is currently not necessary for Hungarian nationals.
Tanzanian transit visa for Hungarian citizens
Traveling in transit means that Hungarian travelers can pass through Tanzania on the way to another country, or if travelers need to stop over in Tanzania, they can do so for a limit of 7 days. It simply allows an extremely quick stop in the country.
Requirements for a transit visa to Tanzania:
- A valid Hungarian passport issued by the Hungarian government
- A scanned copy of the biographical page of the passport
- Hungarian applicant’s headshot
- A digital copy of the onward flight ticket or Visa entry permit for the next destination
Can Hungarians Apply for a Tanzania Visa on Arrival?
Yes, Hungarian citizens can also receive a Visa On Arrival for Tanzania and/or Zanzibar. It is highly recommended to review all the necessary requirements and prepare before arrival.
The visa must be paid for in person once Hungarians arrive at the airport. In order to be eligible for this type of visa, Hungarian nationals will need to show evidence of the return flight ticket back to the home country to the Immigration Officers.
This option is often seen as less desirable since demands on tourism continue to increase, therefore, visa processing may take longer than normal when getting to the country.