If you’ve ever dreamed of climbing Africa’s highest peak, relaxing on some of the clearest beaches in the world, or embarking on a life-changing safari — all in the same country! — then Tanzania is for you. Long thought of as a hidden gem in Africa, this versatile country is finally getting the attention it deserves from fellow travelers.
However, before you can book the next ticket out to Dar es Salaam, it is important to note that all Irish citizens are required to have a visa before they can legally enter Tanzania.
Thankfully the process to apply for a Tanzania evisa as an Irish citizen is quick, easy, and simple. A new government regulation passed last year allows citizens from more than 50 countries, including Ireland, to apply for a simplified Tanzanian electronic visa (also known as an evisa). We’ll show you how to apply, what is required, and more in this article.
Tanzania Visa requirements for Irish Citizens
Before you can apply for a Tanzanian electronic visa, it is important to figure out what kind of visa you actually need. The four main visas are divided into the following categories:
- A Single-entry Tanzania tourist visa – The single-entry visa (also known as the Tanzania tourist visa) allows the traveler to stay for a maximum of 3 months in Tanzania. This visa is applicable for traveling for a holiday, tourism, or medical purpose.
- A Multiple-entry Tanzania visa – This is a visa specifically for travelers who plan to frequently visit Tanzania. The multi-entry visa allows said travelers to stay in Tanzania for a maximum of 3 months (consecutively), while the visa is valid for 12 months. To be considered for a Tanzania multiple-entry visa, the applicant must be invited by a citizen of Tanzania as well as provide documentation on why they applied for the visa.
- A Tanzania transit visa -The Tanzania transit visa allows the traveler to use Tanzania as a transit country before going to their next destination. It is valid for stays no longer than 7 days.
- A Tanzania business visa is available to those who are planning to visit for business purposes or to invest in Tanzanian-founded companies. The validity of this visa varies from 1 to 6 months.
Once you have chosen the appropriate visa that you need, the next step is to gather the required documents. The following list includes all of the Tanzania visa requirements for Irish citizens:
- A valid passport from Ireland – Your Ireland-issued passport must be up to date and valid for at least 6 months from the date that you plan to arrive in Tanzania. It is also recommended to have at least two empty pages inside the passport in case the officer needs to stamp it.
- A copy of the passport’s biometric page – You will need to upload a copy of your biometric passport page. This is usually the first page in the passport that has the traveler’s photo and personal information (passport number, full name, expiration date, and so on).
- A digital passport photo – Towards the end of the application, you will need to submit a recent photo of yourself that was taken within the last 6 months. Your face must be centered and your features must be clearly visible.
- A basic travel Itinerary – As part of the ongoing process to make sure travelers comply with the three-month limit of the Tanzanian tourist visa, you will need to submit a basic list of your travel plans. It is also required to submit proof of onward travel, such as to another country or back home.
- A valid payment method – You will need to have a valid debit or credit card in order to pay the necessary visa fees.
- A valid email address – Finally, you will need to have a valid email address to ensure that you receive notifications about the status of your Tanzania visa.
Tanzania Application Form Online from Ireland
To obtain your Tanzania visa online from Ireland, you must start by filling out the online Tanzania visa application form. The entire process takes less than one hour to complete.
The application is simple and will only ask you a few simple questions about yourself, such as your full name, date of birth, and nationality; your contact information, which includes your email and current address; and your passport information, such as your passport number and expiration date.
After completing and submitting the application, you will need to pay the application fee and wait. It takes an average of 5 days to process the Tanzania visa, but may take more due to demand or other factors.