Tanzania is one of the most popular countries in Africa for travelers, and it’s no secret why: with vibrant cities, vast sweeping lands of the Serengeti, thrill-seeking safaris, and the highest peak in Africa, there is plenty to do, try, and see in Tanzania.
However, before you board the next plane bound for Dar es Salaam, don’t forget your visa! That’s right: all New Zealand citizens are required to have a valid visa before they can legally enter Tanzania. Thankfully, it’s quick and simple to obtain a Tanzania visa online from New Zealand. All you have to do is take an hour of your time to fill out the online application form – no need to wait in line at the embassy, gather paperwork, or have an in-person interview.
The best part is, you can expect your visa within 5 days – we’ll show you what you need, how to apply, and what to expect in this article.
Do New Zealand Citizens need a visa to enter Tanzania?
Short and simple: Yes, all New Zealand citizens are required to have a visa to enter Tanzania.
There are four main Tanzanian visas to cover a broad range of purposes. The most common is the single-entry tourist visa. This list should help you decide which visa to apply for:
- Single-entry Tanzania tourist visa – This visa allows the traveler to stay for a maximum of 3 months consecutive stay in Tanzania for tourism/holiday, medical tourism, and more.
- Multiple-entry Tanzania visa is a visa specially made for those who frequently visit Tanzania. In order to be considered for a Tanzania multiple-entry visa, the applicant must have a letter of invitation from a Tanzanian citizen and provide proper documentation. The visa allows visitors to stay in Tanzania for a maximum amount of 3 months consecutively and is valid for 12 months.
- Tanzania transit visa allows travelers to transit through the country to their onward destination. It is valid for stays no longer than 7 days.
- Tanzania business visa is available to those who are business professionals planning to visit or invest in Tanzanian companies. The validity of the visa varies from 1 to 6 months depending on the traveler’s needs.
Documents required to apply for Tanzania eVisa as a New Zealand Citizen
There are a handful of Tanzania visa requirements for New Zealand citizens, which we have compiled into the following list:
- A valid New Zealand passport – Your passport must be up to date and valid for at least 6 months from the date that you are planning to arrive in Tanzania.
- A copy of the traveler’s biometric page– During the application, you will need to upload a copy of your biometric passport page. This is usually the first page in the passport that has the traveler’s photo and personal information (such as your passport number, full name, expiration date, and so on).
- A digital passport photo – You will need to submit a recent photo of yourself. It is recommended to take this photo within 6 months of applying so that it is recent. Your face must be centered and clearly visible.
- A basic travel itinerary – You will need to submit a simple explanation of your plans to travel within Tanzania. As part of the ongoing process to make sure travelers comply with the three-month limit of the Tanzanian tourist visa, you will also be required to submit proof of onward travel, such as to another country or back home.
- A valid payment method – You will need to have a valid debit or credit card in order to pay the necessary visa fees.
- A valid email address – You will need to have a valid email address to ensure that you receive notifications about the status of your Tanzania visa.
How to apply for the Tanzania eVisa from New Zealand
In order to apply for Tanzania evisa as a New Zealand citizen, you must do so by filling out the online Tanzania visa application form. The entire process will take you less than one hour to complete and you should receive a final decision within 5 business days (although this may take longer due to demand or other factors).
The application is simple and will only ask you a few simple questions about yourself, such as your full name, date of birth, and nationality; your contact information, which includes your email and current address; and your passport information, such as your passport number and expiration date.
After completing and submitting the application, you will need to pay the application fee and wait for an email regarding the approval or denial of your Tanzanian visa.