There are only a handful of countries around the world who can travel to Tanzania visa-free. The majority of other nationalities are required to obtain a visa for Tanzania prior to visiting the country. Norwegian citizens can obtain a visa on arrival when entering the country, which may involve long waiting times at the border especially during busy hours. Visa fees may also vary per person and are only payable with cash.
Thanks to the newly implemented eVisa online application by the Government of Tanzania in November 26, 2018, Norwegian citizens who want to visit Tanzania can now apply for their Tanzania visa for Norwegian citizens online before their arrival. This aims to simplify the process, making the visa easier and faster to obtain. This will help increase the number of tourists visiting the country for tourism and business and help improve the security check at the border.
Tanzanian Visa for Norwegian Passport Holders
Norwegian travelers who plan to visit Tanzania must keep in mind the type of visa that they need prior to entering the country, as each visa serves a different purpose and has its own set of requirements.
Below is a list of the available Tanzania visa for Norwegian passport holders:
- A single-entry tourist visa for Tanzania allows the traveler to stay for up to 90 consecutive days in the country for travel, tourism, short term health treatment or other activities sanctioned by the Law of the Republic of Tanzania.
- A multiple-entry Tanzania tourist visa for Norwegian citizens is designed for those who frequently visit the country. This visa is valid for a period of 12 months and allows travelers to stay for up to 3 months at a time in Tanzania.
- A Tanzania transit visa is available for travelers who are stopping in the country on their way to another destination and plan to stay no longer than 7 days.
- A Tanzania business visa is available for professionals working in the country temporarily or anyone planning to invest in Tanzanian businesses. The validity of the visa can vary from 1 to 6 months, depending on the traveler’s needs.
Tanzanian Visa Requirements for Norwegian Citizens
Norwegian travelers who wish to visit Tanzania must dispose of required documents before they can apply for their visa online.
The following are the Tanzania visa requirements for Norwegian citizens:
- A Norwegian passport valid for a period of at least 6 months upon arrival in Tanzania
- A digital copy of the passport information page
- A digital copy of a passport photo
- Yellow Fever Vaccine Certificate (for travelers who have been to Sub Saharan Africa and tropical Latin America for the past month where yellow fever is endemic)
How to Apply for a Tourist Visa from Norway
Travelers should determine the type of visa that they need prior to their application. They will have to complete the Tanzania eVisa application form for Norwegian citizens, which is simple and will not take more than a few minutes to complete.
The following is the information required for the Tanzania eVisa application form for Norwegian citizens:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Travel document number
An updated email address is also required to be provided in the application. All the updates pertaining to the result of the visa, whether approved or denied, will be sent to the given address once the final decision has been made by the Tanzanian immigration official.
Travelers are urged to double-check all the information that they input in the visa application process to ensure that there will not be any delays in the issuance of the visa. The visa fee for Norwegian citizens varies depending on the type of visa. A credit card can be used to pay for the application online.
It is also necessary to provide a detailed itinerary to the immigration officer upon arrival in Tanzania, including a return ticket to Norway or to an onward destination, ensuring that travelers will follow the allotted duration limit of their visa.
Having possession of a Tanzania visa does not guarantee a traveler entrance to the country. The final decision will be given by the Tanzanian immigration officer at border control. Therefore, visitors are reminded to bring all necessary documentation prior to entering Tanzania to ensure hassle-free passage to the country.