Tanzania is quickly becoming a popular tourist destination for travelers from around the world, but especially from Europe. Thanks to easy connections and comfortable flights, you can now take a long weekend trip or a month-long getaway to this vibrant and exciting country. No matter if you choose to scale Africa’s tallest peak, Mount Kilimanjaro; witness a breathtaking safari on the Serengeti; or relax on the beaches of Zanzibar, it’s all here in Tanzania.
However, before you can click and buy your ticket, it is important to note that all Portuguese citizens are required to have a visa before they can legally enter the country of Tanzania. Thankfully the process is quick and simple, and you can be the proud owner of a Tanzanian visa in under 5 business days – we’ll show you what you need, how to apply, and more in this article.
First, before applying for a Tanzania visa online from Portugal, you must pick which visa works best for you. These are the current options available:
- A Single-entry Tanzania tourist visa – This visa allows you to stay for a maximum of 3 months in Tanzania. It can be applied towards a trip involving a holiday, tourism, or medical purpose.
- A Multiple-entry Tanzania visa – This is a visa specifically if you plan to frequently visit Tanzania. This visa allows you to stay in Tanzania for a maximum of 3 months consecutively, and the visa is valid for 12 months. However, in order to be considered for a Tanzania multiple-entry visa, you must be invited by a citizen of Tanzania and provide proper documentation on why you need such a visa.
- A Tanzania transit visa -This simple visa enables you to transit through Tanzania to your onward destination. It is valid for stays no longer than 7 days.
- A Tanzania business visa is available if you are planning to visit for business-related purposes or to invest in a Tanzanian company. The validity of this visa varies from 1 to 6 months depending on the traveler’s needs.
Requirements to apply for a Tanzanian Visa for Citizens of Portugal
After you have selected the visa that you plan to apply for, it is time to gather the necessary paperwork. There are only a handful of Tanzania visa requirements for Portuguese citizens, which we have outlined below:
- A valid Portuguese passport – The passport that you plan to apply with must be up to date. It must be valid for at least 6 months from the date that you plan to arrive in Tanzania. It is also recommended to have at least two empty pages inside the passport in case it needs to be stamped.
- A copy of your passport’s biometric page– You will need to upload a copy of your biometric passport page, which is usually the first page in your passport (that has your photo and personal information such as passport number, full name, expiration date, and so on).
- A digital passport photo – Towards the end of the application, you will need to submit a recent photo of yourself. It is recommended to have the photo taken within the last 6 months. Your face must be centered and your features must be clearly visible.
- A basic travel itinerary – As part of the application, you will need to submit a simple explanation of your travel plans. To make sure travelers comply with the three-month limit of the Tanzanian tourist visa, you will also be required to submit proof of onward travel, such as to another country or back home.
- A valid payment method – A valid debit or credit card is needed in order to pay for the visa application fees.
- A valid email address – Finally, you will need to have a valid email address to ensure that you receive timely notifications about the status of your visa.
Tanzania Visa Online Application Form for Portuguese Citizens
Once you are ready to apply for Tanzania evisa as a Portuguese citizen, you may proceed to the application.
The online application form takes less than one hour to complete and will ask you a few simple questions about yourself. The questions will include personal details, such as your full name, date of birth, and nationality; your contact information (email and current address); and your passport information (passport number and expiration date).
After completing the application, you will need to pay the visa fee and wait for the final decision email. It takes an average of 5 days to process the Tanzania visa but may longer more due to demand or other factors.