Tanzanian tourism is on the rise, with more and more international travelers flying to the country each year. Most tourists planning a trip to Tanzania will need to hold a valid Tanzanian visa in order to enter and visit the country.
This is true for nationals of the Russian Federation as well. Until recently, most visitors opted for obtaining a visa on arrival, which can result in long queues and unpredictable fees. The Tanzanian visa for Russian citizens was only issued in Tanzania or through the Tanzanian Embassy.
Fortunately, on November 26th, 2018, the Tanzanian government launched a new eVisa program that allows travelers to apply for a visa online before leaving. As a result, it’s now possible to apply for a Tanzania eVisa as a Russian passport holder without leaving one’s home.
This article provides information about the Tanzanian eVisa for Russian citizens, including visa requirements, the online application process, how to apply from Russia, and more.
Documents Required for Russian Citizens
In order for the Tanzanian visa online application to be successful, Russian applicants must provide:
- A passport issued by the Russian Federation and valid for at least 6 months upon arrival in Tanzania
- A scanned copy of the traveler’s passport information page
A digital passport-style photo
- Vaccination needed for Tanzania (if the applicant has recently traveled to any country in the yellow fever zone of Sub-Saharan African and tropical South America)
Moreover, the traveler must be in possession of a return ticket to Russia or other destination upon their arrival in Tanzania in order to prove that they intend to leave the country. Should they fail to present the ticket, they may be denied entry regardless of their visa status.
Visa Requirements for Russian Passport Holders
There are a series of Tanzanian visa requirements for Russian citizens — among them, the applicant is required to select the type of visa they’ll need for their stay. Here are the visas available:
- A single-entry tourist visa for Tanzania, which allows the traveler a 3-month consecutive stay in the country for a holiday, short term health treatment or other activities sanctioned by the Law of the United Republic of Tanzania.
- A multiple-entry Tanzania tourist visa for Russians, which is designed for those who frequently visit the country. This visa is valid for a period of 12 months and allows travelers a maximum consecutive stay of 3 months at a time in Tanzania. To qualify for this visa, it’s necessary for the applicant to be invited by a citizen of Tanzania and provide a range of supporting documentation.
- A Tanzania transit visa, available for travelers who plan to stay no longer than 7 days while transiting to an onward destination.
- A Tanzania business visa, available to professionals planning to visit to invest in Tanzanian enterprise. The validity of the visa can vary from 1 to 6 months, depending on the traveler’s needs.
Tanzania Visa Application Online from the Russian Federation
Once the applicant has made sure to have all the necessary documentation and meet all the visa requirement, they can start the online application from anywhere in the world. The application process is quick and straightforward, taking most people only a few minutes.
The traveler will need to fill in the form with some personal and passport information such as full name, date and place of birth, and travel document number. They will also be asked to state their travel plans for their time in Tanzania.
All information provided must be accurate and it’s advisable to double-check for potential mistakes before submitting the form in order to avoid delays.
Once the application is submitted correctly, the applicant will receive an email confirmation at the email address they will have previously provided. The Tanzanian authorities will then proceed to review the application and grant or deny the eVisa to the Russian national. Notification of this decision will be also communicated via email.
It’s important to remember that being issued an eVisa does not constitute a guarantee of entry. The final decision on whether the traveler can be allowed into Tanzania will be made by the immigration officers reviewing the documentation at the airport or other border entry-point.