Visitors to Tanzania from Spain who are using a Spanish passport need a visa to enter Tanzania for tourism, business, volunteering or study. Single-entry tourist visas are valid for 90 days and can be obtained at the border on arrival when presenting a valid passport and supporting documents. However, the process at immigration can experience frequent delays, and at busy times there are long queues.
It’s also possible to apply for a Tanzania visa from Spain before you leave home. Visas for Tanzania can be requested up to three months in advance of travel using the electronic visa application system. The new system has been recently introduced as a trouble-free way to apply that also reduces visa waiting times. The simple online form is easy to use and allows applicants a much faster passage through immigration and border control.
Requirements for Spanish Citizens
Requirements for Spanish citizens visiting Tanzania will differ depending on the type of visa being granted. The main visas that visitors usually need when traveling to the country are:
- A single-entry tourist visa for Tanzania, which allows the traveler a single stay of up to 3 months in the country for the purpose of tourism and leisure, short term health treatment, or any other activity legal under Tanzanian law.
- A multiple-entry Tanzania tourist visa, which is designed for those who need to make frequent visits to Tanzania. This visa is valid for a maximum of 12 months and allows travelers to stay for up to 3 months at a time in Tanzania. To qualify for this visa, the applicant must be invited by a citizen of Tanzania and provide a range of supporting documentation.
- A Tanzania transit visa, available for travelers who want are visiting the country temporarily before traveling to an onward destination and intend to stay no longer than 7 days.
- A Tanzania business visa, which is issued to Spanish nationals who are investing in Tanzanian businesses or brokering business deals, and permits a stay of up to six months depending on the needs of the traveler.
What Documents I Need to Apply for the Tourist Visa
Spanish nationals who intend to apply online in Spain before traveling to Tanzania need to submit the necessary documents as part of their application. These include:
- A Spanish passport valid for at least 6 months upon arrival in Tanzania
- A scanned copy of the passport information page
- A digital passport-style photo
- Proof of payment of the appropriate visa fee (which can be paid online using a credit card at the same time the application is submitted)
- A yellow fever vaccination certificate (if the traveler has visited any area where yellow fever is present, although this requirement can be waived if a doctor certifies that the applicant’s health does not permit vaccination).
Applicants also need to provide proof of their return flights to Spain or another destination when entering Tanzania, as an applicant’s intended departure date must not fall after the date at which the Tanzanian tourist visa expires. Failure to provide proof of return travel can result in your visa being denied.
Application Form for Spanish Citizens
The Tanzania eVisa application form is straightforward and should only take a few minutes to fill in. Before starting, the applicant should check that they have selected the appropriate visa and that they meet all the requirements for Spanish citizens.
The form requires some important personal and passport information, including the applicant’s full name, date and place of birth, and passport number. No refunds are given if an application is reject on the grounds of being incorrect or incomplete, so applicants should be sure to check that they are supplying the correct information.
Details of notifications and updates during the process, as well as the final decision on the visa, will be sent to the applicant via email. All applicants should ensure they provide a secure and current email address, as the immigration department will not necessarily send paper confirmation. The Ministry of Home Affairs advises against booking flights or other travel itineraries until the visa approval is confirmed.
Please note that possession of a visa does not automatically guarantee the holder the right to enter Tanzania, and the immigration officer will make the final decision at the border. Check that your passport and other travel documents are current and have them ready to show immigration officials as you go through border control.