If you are a German citizen traveling to Tanzania for business or tourism, you need a visa before you can enter Tanzania. Previously this was a complicated process, but since 2018 the Tanzanian government has introduced a simple online application form which allows travelers to apply for the Tanzania visa for German citizens from their home country.
The electronic application can be used for all types of visa for Tanzania. It’s important to choose the appropriate visa for your needs, depending on why you’re traveling and how long you plan to stay:
- A single-entry tourist visa for Tanzania allows the traveler to stay for up to three months in the country for a travel, tourism, short term health treatment or other activities sanctioned by the Law of the United Republic of Tanzania.
- A multiple-entry Tanzania tourist visa for citizens of Germany, which is designed for those who frequently visit the country. This visa is valid for a period of 12 months and allows travelers to stay for up to 3 months at a time in Tanzania.
- A Tanzania transit visa, available for travelers who are stopping in the country on their way to another destination and plan to stay no longer than 7 days.
- A Tanzania business visa, available for professionals working in the country temporarily or anyone planning to invest in Tanzanian enterprise. The validity of the visa can vary from 1 to 6 months, depending on the traveler’s needs.
Tanzania eVisa Requirements from Germany
When using the online application form, German nationals are required to submit supporting documentation covering the eVisa requirements for Tanzania. You will need to upload a scanned digital version of the following documents:
- A German passport valid for at least 6 months upon arrival in Tanzania
- A copy of the passport information page showing the applicant’s full name
- A passport-style photo which clearly shows the applicant’s face
- Vaccinations needed for Tanzania— this only applies to travelers coming from a country where yellow fever is endemic. If you have spent more than 12 hours in any country in Sub-Saharan Africa or South America where yellow fever is present you may need a certificate
It is also a requirement of the visa that you submit your travel plans to the immigration authorities to ensure they comply with the three-month limit of the visa. This must include proof of flights or other travel back to Germany or onward to another destination.
The visa fee for citizens of Germany varies depending on the type of visa and duration of the applicant’s visit, and can be paid using a credit card when the traveler submits their application.
The Tanzanian tourist visa is available on arrival to German citizens when entering the country, although it can involve long waiting times at the border and the visa fee is variable fee and must be paid in cash on arrival. The new electronic system is expected to reduce queues at the border and make the transition time shorter for those who have applied for the visa in advance. It is hoped that it will also make Tanzania a more attractive destination for Europeans traveling for work or leisure.
Application Form for German Citizens
After checking that they meet the Tanzania visa requirements for German citizens and deciding on the relevant visa type, travelers just need to complete the short Tanzania eVisa application online, which should only take a few minutes to fill in.
Each applicant needs to provide some vital personal and passport information when filling in the form:
- full name
- date of birth
- place of birth
- travel document number
- details of the applicant’s travel plans while in Tanzania
It’s essential to double-check all the information entered is correct otherwise you may experience delays in the visa process.
All German citizens need to provide a current email address as part of the eVisa application process, where they will receive information and updates on the status of their visa. After the application has been reviewed by the immigration department, details of the approval or denial of the visa will be sent to the same email address. It is not advisable to book your holiday until you have received final confirmation of visa approval.
The visa confirmation from the Ministry is not an absolute guarantee that holders of the visa will be allowed to enter Tanzania. The final decision is made by immigration officials at passport control, so it is important for visa holders to bring all necessary supporting documentation with them as a precaution.
FAQs For German Citizens
In addition to the Tanzania eVisa Germans may also obtain a Visa on Arrival once in the country.
However, this is not available at all ports of entry into the nation and requires citizens to queue up and to apply in person for permission to pass into Tanzania. This can be a lengthier process for citizens than traveling with a pre-approved eVisa.
A Yellow Fever Certificate is not a requirement for most German visitors to Tanzania.
In some cases, however, German citizens will need a Yellow Fever vaccination certificate before being granted entry into the country. This is necessary if the traveler in question has recently visited or is traveling from a country affected by the virus.
For further information on the inoculations needed before visiting the country, please view our complete guide on the essential travel vaccinations for Tanzania.