Only a few countries are exempt from obtaining a visa to visit Tanzania. The majority of foreign visitors, including Indian citizens, are required to get a visa for Tanzania to travel to the country. However, there’s a simple way to travel to Tanzania thanks to their eVisa system.
The online Tanzania visa for Indian travelers was launched on November 26th, 2018. Through an online application, Indian nationals can easily obtain their visa to travel to the country. The eVisa for Tanzania was introduced with the aim of improving security and expediting the visa process at border control and immigration.
Indian citizens can also get a Tanzania visa on arrival when entering the country, although this can involve long queues at the border. Besides the extensive wait, it is necessary to to pay a fee, the cost of which is not set and can vary. The new and efficient electronic Tanzania visa system is expected to boost tourism and contribute to border control.
What Documents Do I Need for the Tanzania eVisa for Indians?
To be able to apply online before traveling to Tanzania, Indian travelers must meet some Tanzania visa requirements and ensure they have the necessary documents. Indian citizens are required to have:
- An Indian passport valid for at least 6 months upon arrival in Tanzania
- A scanned copy of the passport information page
- A digital passport-style photo
- Vaccinations recommended for Tanzania (if the traveler has recently visited any country in the yellow fever zone of Sub-Saharan African and tropical South America)
Indian travelers must have a return ticket to India or to an onward destination when entering Tanzania. If the traveler is not able to provide proof of the intended departure can result in the traveler being refused entry to the country.
Tanzania Visa Requirements for Indians Citizens
Among the Tanzania eVisa requirements for Indian citizens the applicant needs to select which type of visa they want to obtain depending on their needs. These are the types of Tanzania visa available for foreign visitors:
- A single-entry tourist visa for Tanzania, which allows the traveler a 3-month consecutive stay in the country for a holiday, short term health treatment or other activities sanctioned by the Law of the United Republic of Tanzania.
- A multiple-entry Tanzania tourist visa for Americans, which is designed for those who frequently visit the country. This visa is valid for a period of 12 months and allows travelers a maximum consecutive stay of 3 months at a time in Tanzania. To qualify for this visa, it’s necessary for the applicant to be invited by a citizen of Tanzania and provide a range of supporting documentation.
- A Tanzania transit visa, available for travelers who plan to stay no longer than 7 days while transiting to an onward destination.
- A Tanzania business visa, available for professionals planning to visit to invest in Tanzanian enterprise. The validity of the visa can vary from 1 to 6 months, depending on the traveler’s needs.
Tanzania eVisa Application as an Indian Citizens
After ensuring that they meet the Tanzania visa requirements for Indian citizens and choosing the adequate visa type, Indian nationals can fill out the Tanzania eVisa application online. The application form takes only a few minutes to complete.
Indian travelers must provide some personal and passport information, including their full name, date and place of birth, and travel document number, as well as the applicant’s travel plans for Tanzania. Travelers are advised to double-check that all the information entered is correct in order to avoid any delays in receiving the visa.
Applicants are required to pay the Tanzanian visa for Indian citizens fee before submitting the form. It is necessary to provide a current email address to which a confirmation that the application has been received will be sent. Once the application has been processed by Tanzanian immigration officials, final approval or denial of the eVisa will also be sent to this address.
Indian travelers should keep in mind that even if their Tanzania eVisa has been approved, it doesn’t guarantee permission to enter Tanzania and the final decision is made by the immigration official at border entry points. All travelers should make sure that they have all the required supporting documentation when they pass through Tanzania’s immigration control.