There are only a few counties worldwide who can travel to Tanzania without a visa, including a number of sub-Saharan African nations, The majority of other passport holders are required to get a visa for Tanzania to travel to the country. As of November 26th, 2018, an online Tanzania visa for US citizens has been available through a simple application, with the aim of improving security and expediting the visa process at border control and immigration.
US citizens are able to obtain a Tanzania visa on arrival when entering the country, although this can involve long waiting times at the border and having to pay a fee, the cost of which is not set and can vary. Although citizens from the United States already make up the second-highest number of tourists to visit Tanzania after Kenya, the new efficient electronic Tanzania visa system is expected to boost those numbers even more.
What Documents Do I Need?
In order to apply online from home before traveling, it’s first necessary to meet some Tanzania visa requirements for US citizens for documents. American citizens are required to have:
- A US passport valid for at least 6 months upon arrival in Tanzania
- A scanned copy of the passport information page
- A digital passport-style photo
- Vaccination needed for Tanzania (if the traveler has recently visited any country in the yellow fever zone of Sub-Saharan African and tropical South America)
It’s also essential to already have a return ticket to the United States or to an onward destination when entering Tanzania, as failure to provide proof of the intended departure can result in the traveler being refused entry to the country.
Tanzania Visa Requirements for US Citizens
The Tanzania visa requirements for US citizens also involve the applicant having to choose which type of visa they require depending on their needs, whether:
- A single-entry tourist visa for Tanzania, which allows the traveler a 3-month consecutive stay in the country for a holiday, short term health treatment or other activities sanctioned by the Law of the United Republic of Tanzania.
- A multiple-entry Tanzania tourist visa for Americans, which is designed for those who frequently visit the country. This visa is valid for a period of 12 months and allows travelers a maximum consecutive stay of 3 months at a time in Tanzania. To qualify for this visa, it’s necessary for the applicant to be invited by a citizen of Tanzania and provide a range of supporting documentation.
- A Tanzania transit visa, available for travelers who plan to stay no longer than 7 days while transiting to an onward destination.
- A Tanzania business visa, available for professionals planning to visit to invest in Tanzanian enterprise. The validity of the visa can vary from 1 to 6 months, depending on the traveler’s needs.
Application Form for US Citizens
After making sure they meet the Tanzania visa requirements for US citizens and deciding on the relevant visa type, American travelers can complete the simple Tanzania eVisa application online, which only takes a few minutes to fill in.
To fill in the form, it’s necessary to provide some personal and passport information, including full name, date and place of birth, and travel document number, as well as the applicant’s travel plans for Tanzania. It’s essential to double-check all the information entered is correct in order to avoid any delays in receiving the visa.
Applicants are required to pay the Tanzanian visa for US citizens fee before submitting the form, as well as to provide a current email address to which a confirmation that the application has been received will be sent. Once the application has been reviewed by Tanzanian immigration officials, final approval or denial of the Evisa will also be sent to this address.
It’s important to keep in mind that granting of the Tanzania eVisa for US citizens doesn’t guarantee permission to enter Tanzania and the final decision is made by the immigration official at border entry points. Therefore, it is necessary to ensure that the traveler has all the required supporting documentation when they pass through Tanzanian immigration control.